Animal Welfare Position
ETIV is partnering with a local NGO to support the care and protection of animals and to help educate the community regarding animal rights and the importance of sterilization of dogs and cats.
The director of the animal welfare project does not have a separate animal shelter, but has basically turned her own home and property into a shelter, and currently cares for 38 abused, abandoned and/or neglected dogs and cats. She lives just 4 kilometers outside of Itacaré on a beautiful space of property where most of the animals are free to roam.
Volunteers are needed to help feed, clean and attend to these rescued animals while also supporting efforts to:
– Publicize their work, especially the rescued animals
– Spay as many animals as possible with the help of local veterinarians
– Promote the adoption of abandoned or abused animals
– Raise awareness about abuse, neglect and the importance of castration
– Seek public policies that benefit animals
ETIV also plans to organize events bringing children from the poorer neighborhoods of Itacaré to visit the animals at shelter to learn about the importance of caring for animal and all sentient beings. Portuguese is not a requirement for this role, however we do recommend that all volunteers learn to speak at least basic Portuguese, as not many people in Itacaré speak English.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years or older.
- Volunteers should work at least one month before taking vacation time, but we are flexible to suit different needs.
- Volunteers work at least 4 hours day/20 hours a week, usually Monday – Friday from 9am to 1pm.
- All volunteers must complete the volunteer application form prior to acceptance and they must sign and agree to our ETIV code of conduct prior to or upon arrival.
- Beginning or intermediate Portuguese preferred.
- At least 1 month minimum time commitment.
- Love of animals required.
- Knowledge and/or experience with animals preferred.