Community Organizer Position
ETIV do Brasil is looking for Interns or volunteers that are interested in community organizing in the beautiful surf town of Itacaré, on the coast of Bahia. Community organizers are expected to document and highlight the personal stories of individuals in the community, while simultaneously gaining a deeper understanding about shared hopes and concerns among community members. Once this foundation is built, community organizers will participate in and host regular meetings, bringing individuals and community leaders together who share similar concerns and who are willing to work together to create the positive changes they wish to see in their communities.
In this position, the community organizer will discover, document and research some of the top shared concerns and hopes for the community which could lead to public action meetings as well as research opportunities. It is important that organizers choose to address issues and strategies that are realistic given the current economic, social and political reality.
- Build/develop positive relationships within the community, mainly by meeting with local individuals and community leaders to better understand the stories, hopes and concerns for those living in and around Itacaré.
- Document all contacts, successes strategies and work into our database
- Apply for a grant or organize a local fundraiser to help build a better budget for our organizing work
- Participate and organize meetings to discuss issues and strategize solutions
- Plan “power meetings” with experts and influential members of the community that could help us achieve our goals (including representatives and business owners)
- Organize a public action meeting to push towards positive community change
- Help to recruit more community organizers to the NGO
- Support any other volunteers involved in the community organizing work
- To create a community organizing manual for incoming volunteers and to keep our community organizing description updated on our website
- Community organizers must work at least 25 hours per week
- Be sociable and curious about others, with a willingness to connect with individuals that may be very different from you (in terms of age, culture, socioeconomic status, education and worldview)
- Fluent Portuguese
- 3 months minimum and 4 to 6 months’ time commitment preferred for all coordinators
- Strong leadership, social and organizational skills.
- Patience, flexibility and punctuality
ETIV do Brasil is located in the beautiful fishing and surfing town of Itacare, Bahia. Our mission is to connect international volunteers with local communities to support environmental conservation and development in Brazil.
Low income volunteers and interns that are willing and able to dedicate at least 5 months time commitment (preferably 6) to the project may apply for a grant with the NGO to have their volunteer contribution waved. This allows low income students to receive all the benefits of interning with our NGO (including life insurance, a tour of Itacare, an induction to the NGO, training in your project, ongoing supervision and support and 24 hour emergency support) completely free of charge. However, all volunteers and interns are responsible for covering their own food, travel and accommodation expenses and everyone must pay the $67 admin fee that covers all legal documentation. ETIV do Brasil does provide a volunteer house where volunteers and interns can live at a very affordable price.
Most interns can receive university credit while interning with our NGO and some are even able to receive a University stipend or grant to help cover their expenses. We can offer ongoing support and supervision and can help organize taxi pickups, local accommodations and even Capoeira or Portuguese classes. All volunteers and interns will also receive our Pre-Departure Powerpoint, and Introduction to the NGO, a tour of Itacare and life insurance during their internship at the NGO.
These positions are perfect for someone seeking meaningful internship experience in a stunning location with a thriving Afro-Brazilian culture. Itacare is unique place where the Rainforest meets the Atlantic Ocean and beautiful beaches, jungle, coconut trees, waterfalls and wildlife abound.