Environmental Coordinator Position
The ETIV Environmental Coordinator is an absolutely critical member of the ETIV team. It is the duty of the environmental coordinator to help identify ways to promote and ensure increased and sustainable environmental conservation in and around Itacaré, Brazil. To begin, one of our main goals is to develop a new generation of youth environmental leaders who will learn the value and importance of environmental conservation. To do this, we need to develop an educational campaign that includes regular trainings and fun activities that teaches youth to value, respect and care for the environment and all sentient beings. These trainings will need to begin with the basics (what is pollution, why is bad for the environment) and then lead up to more complex issues such as global climate change. It will also be important to create trainings that specifically covers local environmental issues including the importance of the Atlantic rainforest, the mangroves and saving endangered species; all of which are endemic to this area but need to be protected since over 85% of the Atlantic forest has already vanished. In addition, there is a section of mangroves that has been completely destroyed less than half a block from the ETIV volunteer house. Thus, we would love to engage the community and especially our youth leaders to implement a mangrove restoration project to actually re-plant and grow new mangroves in the same area where they are now just dead roots. However, we will need permission from the government to engage in such a project, and this might be very difficult to acquire as the government is often corrupt and has not been willing to support many initiatives like this, especially here in Itacaré. Thus this will be a challenge, although we have made many new relationships with other Brazilians who also want to work with us, that may help us see this vision become a reality.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years or older.
- Volunteers should work at least one month before taking vacation time, but we are flexible to suit different needs.
- Volunteers work at least 4 hours day/20 hours a week, usually Monday – Friday from 9am to 1pm.
- All volunteers must complete the volunteer application form prior to acceptance and they must sign and agree to our ETIV code of conduct prior to or upon arrival.
- Intermediate to advanced portuguese required.
- At least 3 to 4 months minimum time commitment.
- Knowledge and/or experience in environmental sciences or biology preferred.