Environmental Volunteer Position
Our ETIV Environmental Volunteers will be working with the support and supervision of the Environmental Coordinator, and that of the Assistant Director and the Director, especially when a Coordinator is not available. It is the duty of the environmental volunteer to help identify and strategize effective ways to promote environmental conservation in and around Itacaré, Brazil. For example, there is a large area of beach in front of the river very close to the new ETIV volunteer house where the community has completely destroyed an area of beautiful mangroves. Consequently, we are looking for environmental volunteers to help us network with the community and implement a mangrove restoration campaign. This will include an educational campaign regarding the importance of the mangroves to the environment and hopefully (if we can get permission from the government) a restoration project to actually re-plant and grow new mangroves in the same area where they were destroyed. However, before we even begin replanting mangroves, we will need to engage local youth and families to truly value their natural environment through fun and interactive trainings and activities.
Our goal before the end of 2016 is to complete an environmental training manual with at least 10 to 12 interactive trainings that will be designed for kids and youth. These trainings will need to be fun and engaging, and they will need to begin with the basics (what is pollution and why is it important to care for the environment) and then slowly move into more complex issues, including global climate change. We will also want to focus on several local issues, such as the importance of protecting the mangroves and the Mata Atlántica (Atlantic Rainforest).
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years or older.
- Volunteers should work at least one month before taking vacation time, but we are flexible to suit different needs.
- Volunteers work at least 4 hours day/20 hours a week, usually Monday – Friday from 9am to 1pm.
- All volunteers must complete the volunteer application form prior to acceptance and they must sign and agree to our ETIV code of conduct prior to or upon arrival.
- Basic to intermediate Portuguese required.
- At least 1 month time commitment.
- Knowledge and interest in environmental issues necessary.
- 2 or 3 week commitment with Volunteer Package possible.