Environmental Volunteer Position
Our environmental volunteers help to identify ways to promote and ensure increased and sustainable environmental conservation in and around Itacaré, Brazil. Our main goal is to develop a new generation of local (Brazilian) youth leaders that will actively care for each other, their community and the environment. This project includes an educational campaign with fun and interactive trainings and activities to teach children and youth how incredibly important it is to take care of our natural environment and work together to combat global climate change.
Volunteers will be expected to help plan and implement our weekly environmental trainings with youth and support our organic garden, our compost, and our recycling project. They are also expected to help all of the other volunteers get better at reducing, reusing and recycling in the volunteer house. Meanwhile, we are also working on a new campaign to get more local business to become more sustainable and we are building new partnerships to be able to have a more profound effect on the environmental concerns affecting Itacaré, including the issues of garbage collection and sewage, which are constantly problematic here.
- To help develop and teach our weekly environmental trainings with youth
- To take attendance and document outcomes including successes, challenges and best practices for every class
- To teach many of the core values that lay the foundation for ETIV’s work, also listed on our website.
- To manage our organic garden/compost and recycling at the volunteer house and garden
- To support our mangrove restoration work (seasonal)
- To help us recruit more environmental volunteers to our NGO
- To help us organize any environmental events that we may be planning
- To organize at least one fundraiser event to help support our environmental budget and/or help us identify and apply for one grant opportunity
- Volunteers must work at least 20 hours per week
- Basic Portuguese
- Minimum 1-month time commitment
- Patience, flexibility and punctuality.
Prior to arrival, volunteers and interns receive ongoing support, our Pre-Departure PowerPoint a Skype interview and Portuguese audio lessons. We also organize taxi pickups, housing, project placement and Portuguese lessons with our local instructor. All volunteers and interns will also receive an Introduction to the NGO, a tour of Itacaré, life insurance, project training and ongoing support and supervision during their volunteer time or internship with the NGO. All volunteers and interns will receive excellent references from the NGO for quality work completed with us.
Most interns can receive university credit while interning with us and some are even able to receive a University stipend or grant to help cover their expenses. We offer ongoing supervision for interns and can complete all university documents and evaluations as deemed necessary. Interns can also earn credit by completing a remote/virtual internship with us completely free of charge.
Low income volunteers and interns that are willing and able to dedicate at least 5-months (preferably 6) to the project may apply for a grant with the NGO to have their volunteer contribution waived. However, everyone is responsible for covering their own food, travel, accommodation and personal expenses and everyone must pay the $67 admin fee that covers all legal documentation.
These positions are perfect for someone seeking a meaningful internship experience in a stunning location with a thriving Afro-Brazilian culture. Itacaré is unique place where the Rainforest meets the Atlantic Ocean and beautiful beaches, jungles, waterfalls and wildlife abound.