Construction and Landscaping Position
ETIV is currently renting a large house that serves as both the ETIV office and the volunteer house. Meanwhile, we also built a learning space in the garden where we can conduct our classes and trainings with children and families. Consequently, we are looking for dedicated construction volunteers that will be able to work independently and with a team to help us fix up both the house and the learning space. Therefore, we need volunteers that have experience in construction for this position, and those with experience with cement, plumbing, and landscaping is also highly desirable. However, volunteers that can come help us paint and take care of the garden are also welcome. Portuguese is not a requirement for this positions, but we highly recommend that all volunteers begin to learn at least basic Portuguese, as most people in Bahia do not speak English. We can link volunteers to affordable Portuguese classes upon arrival as well.
- Help us paint, repair and improve upon the volunteer house and the learning space
- We would love to build another outside bathroom if possible
- We would love to build another bedroom inside the volunteer house
- We need to fix up the balconies and staircase in the volunteer house
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years or older.
- Volunteers should work at least one month before taking vacation time, but we are flexible to suit different needs.
- Volunteers work at least 4 hours day/20 hours a week, usually Monday – Friday from 9am to 1pm.
- All volunteers must complete the volunteer application form prior to acceptance and they must sign and agree to our ETIV code of conduct prior to or upon arrival.
- Portuguese is not required for this position but basic knowledge recommended.
- At least 1-month minimum time commitment necessary.
- Can be performed for free without all the other items in the volunteer packages.
- Experience in some of the following necessary: gardening, painting, decorating, woodwork, tiling, plumbing bricklaying etc.
Prior to arrival, volunteers and interns receive ongoing support, our Pre-Departure PowerPoint a Skype interview and Portuguese audio lessons. We also organize taxi pickups, housing, project placement and Portuguese lessons with our local instructor. All volunteers and interns will also receive an Introduction to the NGO, a tour of Itacaré, life insurance, project training and ongoing support and supervision during their volunteer time or internship with the NGO. All volunteers and interns will receive excellent references from the NGO for quality work completed with us.
Most interns can receive university credit while interning with us and some are even able to receive a University stipend or grant to help cover their expenses. We offer ongoing supervision for interns and can complete all university documents and evaluations as deemed necessary. Interns can also earn credit by completing a remote/virtual internship with us completely free of charge.
Low income volunteers and interns that are willing and able to dedicate at least 5-months (preferably 6) to the project may apply for a grant with the NGO to have their volunteer contribution waived. However, everyone is responsible for covering their own food, travel, accommodation and personal expenses and everyone must pay the $67 admin fee that covers all legal documentation.
These positions are perfect for someone seeking a meaningful internship experience in a stunning location with a thriving Afro-Brazilian culture. Itacaré is unique place where the Rainforest meets the Atlantic Ocean and beautiful beaches, jungles, waterfalls and wildlife abound.