ETIV do Brasil is looking for dedicated volunteer or intern to serve as our SwimTayka Teachers in beautiful Itacaré, Bahia, Brazil. Teachers will receive support from the SwimTayka Project Coordinator or an ETIV staff member (if a coordinator is not available), although applicants must also be certified swimming teachers. The ETIV English Program focuses mainly on targeting low income children and youth who attend public schools and/or who would not otherwise have the opportunity to receive swimming classes. SwimTayka teachers will also offer children attending the classes environmental education too.
- Attend and teach each swimming lessons
- Prepare the classes including their environmental aspect
- Work closely with the Environment Education Team to offer environmental education to the children partaking in the swimming lessons
- To take attendance and document in our database all outcomes including numbers of children, successes, challenges and best practices for every class
- To support the coordinator with any extra events being organized including registration and fundraiser events
- Recruit more students to the classes when attendance is low or when we are beginning new classes
- Build positive relationships with the families to improve attendance, behaviors and ETIV’s community relations.
- Support the recruitment of more volunteers to come and support the SwimTayka Program
- To teach many of the core values that lay the foundation for ETIV’s work, also listed on our website
- Must work at least 20 hours a week
- Fluency in English and intermediate to advanced Portuguese
- Certified swimming instructor
- Minimum 1-month time commitment over April and/ or May
Prior to arrival, volunteers and interns receive ongoing support, our Pre-Departure PowerPoint a Skype interview and Portuguese audio lessons. We also organize taxi pickups, housing, project placement and Portuguese lessons with our local instructor. All volunteers and interns will also receive an Introduction to the NGO, a tour of Itacaré, life insurance, project training and ongoing support and supervision during their volunteer time or internship with the NGO. All volunteers and interns will receive excellent references from the NGO for quality work completed with us. Most interns can receive university credit while interning with us and some are even able to receive a University stipend or grant to help cover their expenses. We offer ongoing supervision for interns and can complete all university documents and evaluations as deemed necessary. Interns can also earn credit by completing a remote/virtual internship with us completely free of charge.
Low income volunteers and interns that are willing and able to dedicate at least 5-months (preferably 6) to the project may apply for a grant with the NGO to have their volunteer contribution waived. However, everyone is responsible for covering their own food, travel, accommodation and personal expenses and everyone must pay the $67 admin fee that covers all legal documentation.
These positions are perfect for someone seeking a meaningful internship experience in a stunning location with a thriving Afro-Brazilian culture. Itacaré is unique place where the Rainforest meets the Atlantic Ocean and beautiful beaches, jungles, waterfalls and wildlife abound.