Volunteer Coordinator Positions
We are looking for a volunteer or intern that can serve as our Volunteer Coordinator on the coast of Bahia in beautiful, Itacare. Our Coordinator positions are our most advanced volunteer positions, that require the greatest amount of responsibility from our volunteers. These positions offer an incredible learning experience that will look fantastic on any resume, while also boosting an applicant’s competitiveness in a tough job market.
The Volunteer Coordinator will be expected to help us recruit, manage and support our team of international volunteers. Interns may also be able to receive university credit for their work with our NGO.
- Responding to e-mail inquiries and volunteer applications
- Welcoming volunteers upon arrival and organizing their taxi pickups and bedrooms
- Leading volunteer inductions and bike tours of Itacaré
- Helping volunteers plan and follow through on their goals and commitments
- Managing the volunteer house and office
- Organizing fun cultural and recreational activities with the volunteers
- Supporting community events and supervising volunteers in their projects to ensure that their volunteer experience is both challenging, rewarding and making a positive difference to the families and communities here in Itacaré.
- Conducting midterm and exit interviews
- To create their own structure and work independently without anyone micro-managing their work. (However, interns will receive regular supervision from the director or an ETIV staff member.)
- Basic to intermediate Portuguese
- Be a motivated self-starter with good conflict resolution skills.
- 3 months minimum and 4 to 6 months time commitment preferred for all coordinators (however we do welcome applications for volunteers/interns that can only stay 1-3 months)
- Strong leadership, social and organizational skills.
- Patience, flexibility and punctuality.
ETIV do Brasil is located in the beautiful fishing and surfing town of Itacare, Bahia. Our mission is to connect international volunteers with local communities to support environmental conservation and development in Brazil.
Low income volunteers and interns that are willing and able to dedicate at least 5 months time commitment (preferably 6) to the project may apply for a grant with the NGO to have their volunteer contribution waved. This allows low income students to receive all the benefits of interning with our NGO (including life insurance, a tour of Itacare, an induction to the NGO, training in your project, ongoing supervision and support and 24 hour emergency support) completely free of charge. However, all volunteers and interns are responsible for covering their own food, travel and accommodation expenses and everyone must pay the $67 admin fee that covers all legal documentation. ETIV do Brasil does provide a volunteer house where volunteers and interns can live at a very affordable price.
Most interns can receive university credit while interning with our NGO and some are even able to receive a University stipend or grant to help cover their expenses. We can offer ongoing support and supervision and can help organize taxi pickups, local accommodations and even Capoeira or Portuguese classes. All volunteers and interns will also receive our Pre-Departure Powerpoint, and Introduction to the NGO, a tour of Itacare and life insurance during their internship at the NGO.
These positions are perfect for someone seeking meaningful internship experience in a stunning location with a thriving Afro-Brazilian culture. Itacare is unique place where the Rainforest meets the Atlantic Ocean and beautiful beaches, jungle, coconut trees, waterfalls and wildlife abound.