English Teacher Position
English teaching opportunity available to volunteers or interns interested in teaching classes to children and youth, as well as one or two possible adult classes as well. Teachers receive support from the English Project Coordinator or an ETIV staff member (if a coordinator is not available), although it is highly recommended that applicants have some background or/or experience with teaching English prior to applying for this position.
We currently have 5 English classes running and they are spread out in different places around Itacare. Some classes take place at our own ETIV learning space while other are taking place in a local church and another in our local capoeira school. The ETIV English Program focuses mainly on targeting low income children and youth who attend public schools and/or who would not otherwise have the opportunity to receive quality English classes.
Volunteers are expected to support development of the curriculum while also preparing the lessons plans and documenting everything so that it can be re-used and built upon in the future. All teachers must take attendance and document outcomes including successes, challenges and best practices for every class. All volunteers working with youth (including our English teachers) are also expected to teach many of the core values that lay the foundation for ETIV’s work. These include: mutual respect, acceptance, cultural appreciation, caring for each other, speaking the truth, acting honestly and transparently, and caring for each other, the environment, animals and all sentient being.
English volunteers must work at least 20 hours per week, but a significant portion of that time can be dedicated to prepping and planning classes as well as home visits and staying connected to the community. We would also like each volunteer teacher to help organize a local fundraiser or event that will support our English Program budget. This is an incredible opportunity to get hands on experience teaching English as a second language while also living on the coast of beautiful Bahia, Brazil.
Language/Cultural Support Available
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years or older.
- Volunteers should work at least one month before taking vacation time, but we are flexible to suit different needs.
- Volunteers work at least 4 hours day/20 hours a week, usually Monday – Friday from 9am to 1pm.
- All volunteers must complete the volunteer application form prior to acceptance and they must sign and agree to our ETIV code of conduct prior to or upon arrival.
- Basic to intermediate Portuguese required.
- At least 1 month time commitment necessary.
- Education and/or experience teaching English required.
- 2 or 3 week commitment with Volunteer Package possible.