English Teacher Position
Our ETIV volunteer English teachers will receive support and training from the director, the assistant director and the English Program Coordinator (as available). However, we are looking for volunteers that already have some background and experience with teaching English. These volunteers will need to help organize and market the English classes that they will be offering to the community and they will be responsible for planning, organizing and implementing their lesson plans. Therefore, it is expected to take at least a week or so to get the classes up and running, as the first week or two will involve creating fliers, networking and connecting with community members to plan the schedule of the classes and to ensure decent turnout.
Most of the English classes should be focused on teaching children and youth English, but volunteers can certainly offer some classes for adults as well. Our English volunteers will be expected to work at least 20 hours per week, but only a few hours each week will be actually teaching, as a significant portion of that time will be dedicated to prepping and planning classes, developing and organizing materials, reporting and evaluation and supporting the NGO in other ways as needed.
While teaching English, we also want our volunteers to teach many of the core values that lay the foundation for ETIV’s work. This includes: mutual respect, cultural appreciation, caring for each other, speaking the truth, acting honestly and transparently, sharing and being generous (as opposed to stealing or taking things that don’t belong to you), valuing education and actively caring for the environment and all sentient beings. In fact, we encourage our volunteers to teach these values through all of our programs, but particularly those that are working with children and youth. Finally, there may be some occasions when we would like our English teachers to work together with our volunteer Environmental and Youth Development Coordinators to bring youth together from all different projects to participate in environmental actions, youth development trainings and other fun and interactive events and excursions that we might organize together.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years or older.
- Volunteers should work at least one month before taking vacation time, but we are flexible to suit different needs.
- Volunteers work at least 4 hours day/20 hours a week, usually Monday – Friday from 9am to 1pm.
- All volunteers must complete the volunteer application form prior to acceptance and they must sign and agree to our ETIV code of conduct prior to or upon arrival.
- Basic to intermediate Portuguese required.
- At least 1 month time commitment necessary.
- Education and/or experience teaching English required.
- 2 or 3 week commitment with Volunteer Package possible.