Women’s Empowerment Coordinator
This will be a brand new project that we hope to build from the ground up as soon as we have a dedicated coordinator to help us make this vision real. We are looking for a Women’s Empowerment Coordinator who will become a critical member of the ETIV team, helping us to actually create a new project with the support of the Director and the Assistant Director. Our Women’s Empowerment Coordinator is expected to build positive relationships within the community, mainly by meeting with local women and their families to better understand their stories, hopes and concerns. It is important for our Women’s Empowerment Coordinators to truly understand and document the stories of the women, while simultaneously gaining a deep understanding about their hopes and concerns for themselves, their families and their communities.
Once a strong foundation is built through these relational visits with women, the coordinator will begin to host meetings at least twice a month, bringing the women together who share similar hopes and concerns and are interested and willing to work together to create a better future. Currently, the main problems we have heard much concern about here in Passagem include gangs, drug trafficking, violence, teenage pregnancy, STD’s including HIV/AIDS, poor education in public schools, government corruption, lack of running water, problems with garbage collection and a serious lack of jobs/ ways to earn a decent income.
It will be important to help the women focus on things they can do to positively impact their lives and that of their families and the community, while it is imperative that we help them create goals that are actually obtainable and/or winnable. Most likely, the women will be most interested in participating in training and activities that will help them earn more money so that they can provide a better living standard for themselves and their families. This may include anything that really interests them, from arts and crafts like greeting cards or making things from recycled products to sewing and creating purses or bags. In addition, this could also include experimenting and making natural products or food items with the women like candles, natural soaps, growing organic lettuces, making natural yogurt, coconut oil and more. We want to be open to support the interests and passions of both the women and the volunteers, but we also want to link some of these projects with our environmental work, ensuring that all the projects we support are also eco-friendly and sustainable.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years or older.
- Volunteers should work at least one month before taking vacation time, but we are flexible to suit different needs.
- Volunteers work at least 4 hours day/20 hours a week, usually Monday – Friday from 9am to 1pm.
- All volunteers must complete the volunteer application form prior to acceptance and they must sign and agree to our ETIV code of conduct prior to or upon arrival.
- This position requires an intermediate to advanced level of Portuguese.
- A minimum of 3 months time commitment is preferred for this position.
- Education or experience in humanities/social sciences (psychology, anthropology, sociology, cultural studies, social work, etc. ) preferred.