Youth Development Coordinator
ETIV is looking for a Youth Development Coordinator who will provide support to our current youth programs, while also having the opportunity to offer new projects or curriculum as well. Currently, we are offering weekly English classes and environmental trainings to children and youth, as well as 4 Literacy Clubs (LitClubs and empowerment) for girls and seasonal swimming lessons. However, the youth development coordinator will also be given the opportunity to begin new classes and in the past we have offered soccer lessons to girls and dance classes to adolescents, while all of our kids love arts and crafts. Throughout all of our youth programming however, it is particularly important that the coordinator supports all of our teachers and volunteers to incorporate our core values into their weekly classes and programming as well. ETIV’s core values include but are not limited to: mutual respect, acceptance, cultural appreciation, caring for each other, speaking the truth, acting honestly and transparently, sharing and being generous and actively caring for the environment, animals and all sentient beings.
This position requires is a high level of responsibility as the Coordinator is actually in charge of managing and leading on much of our work with youth. However, this is also an incredible opportunity to build your resume and get hands on experience leading our youth development projects and programming. The seasonal swimming lessons normally occur during the months of March, April and May.
- To support all our youth projects, especially those in most need of support (which depends on other coordinators and volunteers we have for each project)
- To take attendance and document outcomes including successes, challenges and best practices for every class in our database
- To support our other volunteers and coordinators currently running programming with children and youth.
- To design and implement fun, enriching and recreational activities with the children and youth of Itacaré
- To create and update a youth development manual for incoming volunteers and to keep our website description updated prior to leaving
- To organize one local fundraiser event to help us raise money for our youth development budget
- To help us recruit other Youth Development coordinators and volunteers
- To update our Youth Development manual for incoming volunteers
- To attend our weekly ETIV staff meetings and to always submit your weekly staff report and update our weekly agenda as it pertains to our youth development work.
- To help us identify and apply to one grant that could support our youth development work
- Intermediate Portuguese
- 3 months minimum and 4 to 6-month time commitment preferred for all coordinators (however we do welcome applications for Youth Development volunteers/interns that can only stay 1-3 months)
- Strong leadership, social and organizational skills.
- Patience, flexibility and punctuality
- 25 hours of service per week
ETIV do Brasil is located in the beautiful fishing and surfing town of Itacare, Bahia. Our mission is to connect international volunteers with local communities to support environmental conservation and development in Brazil.
Low income volunteers and interns that are willing and able to dedicate at least 5 months time commitment (preferably 6) to the project may apply for a grant with the NGO to have their volunteer contribution waved. This allows low income students to receive all the benefits of interning with our NGO (including life insurance, a tour of Itacare, an induction to the NGO, training in your project, ongoing supervision and support and 24 hour emergency support) completely free of charge. However, all volunteers and interns are responsible for covering their own food, travel and accommodation expenses and everyone must pay the $67 admin fee that covers all legal documentation. ETIV do Brasil does provide a volunteer house where volunteers and interns can live at a very affordable price.
Most interns can receive university credit while interning with our NGO and some are even able to receive a University stipend or grant to help cover their expenses. We can offer ongoing support and supervision and can help organize taxi pickups, local accommodations and even Capoeira or Portuguese classes. All volunteers and interns will also receive our Pre-Departure Powerpoint, and Introduction to the NGO, a tour of Itacare and life insurance during their internship at the NGO.
These positions are perfect for someone seeking meaningful internship experience in a stunning location with a thriving Afro-Brazilian culture. Itacare is unique place where the Rainforest meets the Atlantic Ocean and beautiful beaches, jungle, coconut trees, waterfalls and wildlife abound.