Youth Development Volunteer Position
The ETIV Youth Development volunteers will work with the support and supervision of the Youth Development Coordinator and/or the Assistant Director and the Director (especially when a coordinator is not available). The youth development volunteers will help to identify creative ways to engage local children and youth in fun enrichment activities while also teaching them many of the core values that lay the foundation for ETIV’s work. This includes: mutual respect, cultural appreciation, caring for each other, speaking the truth, acting honestly and transparently, sharing and being generous (as opposed to stealing or taking things that don’t belong to you) and actively caring for the environment and all sentient beings. In many ways, the Youth Development volunteers will have the freedom to choose from a variety of activities that they can plan and organize with the local youth. This includes everything from arts and crafts to dance, theatre, swimming, surfing and so much more.
However, we would like the youth development volunteers to also support and work closely with the environmental volunteers because one of our goals is to develop a new generation of young environmental leaders who will continue the important work of environmental conservation well into the future. Thus, we would like the youth development volunteers to support the environmental volunteers when they organize community events and also in developing an educational manual regarding the importance of taking care of the environment. We would like this to include about 10 to 12 different trainings and activities so that trainings could be done once a month for entire year.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years or older.
- Volunteers should work at least one month before taking vacation time, but we are flexible to suit different needs.
- Volunteers work at least 4 hours day/20 hours a week, usually Monday – Friday from 9am to 1pm.
- All volunteers must complete the volunteer application form prior to acceptance and they must sign and agree to our ETIV code of conduct prior to or upon arrival.
- Basic to intermediate Portuguese required.
- At least 1 month time commitment necessary.
- Education and/or experience in working with children or youth preferred.